Warsaw History

Interesting Facts
Jodie Ritch
A collection of facts on Warsaw which is being continually added to.

Over the years the community if Warsaw was in the counties of Cherokee, Gwinnett, Forsyth, Milton and Fulton.
Warsaw was the Postal Office (snail mail) for the area in the early 1800s. The US Postal Service began in 1775. During the War Between the States the Post Office Department of the Confederate States of America was established on February 21, 1861, by an Act of the Provisional Congress of the Confederate States. The Federal Postal Service and the Confederate Postal Service operated independently from 1861-1866. The First postmaster of record for Warsaw was Lecy Hammond and James Roussian. Other notable postmaster for the community of Warsaw were William W. Anderson in 1867, Armstead T. Abbott in 1879, Andrew Cain in 1884, William R. Abbott in 1887, H. Collins in 1893, Kate Anderson in 1894, John N. McClure in 1895, John E. Abbott in 1897, C.M. Parsons in 1902, William H. Barnett in 1904, and Theodore C. Nunnally in 1907. In 1907 the Warsaw Postal service was decommissioned and moved to Duluth.
According to the best information available the community of Warsaw was founded by a group of Moravians. Moravians were a group of Christians that came to Georgia in the mid 1700s originally arriving in Savannah. Settling for a time in Warsaw as they moved northward along the Chattahoochee River toward North Carolina.
In the early 1840s the Warsaw Church was moved and a new house of worship was built on its last location on Medlock Bridge Road before being moved to Autrey Mill in 2004.
According to the deed for the oldest section of Warsaw Cemetery (which was located in the Forsyth County deed record books), The land for the Warsaw Cemetery was donated by Mr. A.P. Stennis to the Methodist Episcopal of Warsaw. The Church Trustees on that deed were Martin Brandon, R.B. Harris, Jeff C. Brown, Jermin M. Lister, Jonathan Barnett, David Blackwell and John Boring.
The Oldest Marked grave in Warsaw Cemetery is that of Oregon Findley November 9, 1855
The Warsaw Church originally had a large wagon wheel suspended from the ceiling with oil lanterns on it. The wagon wheel was on a pulley and would be lowered so that the oil lamps could be lit and put out. In the mid 1930s electricity came to town, Mr. Fred Wilson who lived in the community of Warsaw and was at that time the assistant to the acting president of GA Power, brought light to Warsaw.
The wood floors in the Warsaw Church were replaced in the 1950s. The Reverend of Warsaw Church at that time was Rev. Don Herndon. Rev. Herndon was a teacher and an ordained minister. He taught school in Duluth, the high school was replacing their gym floors and he salvaged the wood floor for the church.
Sunday School was organized at Warsaw Church in 1873.

Back to History Index